Monday, October 13, 2008

A Personal Experience

The following contribution was made by an LSU Service Learning Student.

My experience with Alzheimer’s is a personal one. I can remember as a young girl growing up, my grandfather’s aunt from New Orleans would come down for the weekend. She would be fine one minute and the next she’s dressed for church with just a hat on and nothing else. I couldn’t put a name to this behavior back then, but now I realize that this disease is prevalent in my family.

Today, my grandfather and one of his sisters are both struggling with this disease, one in more advanced stage than the other. After the death of my grandmother last year, my grandfather became really depressed, and as a result is in a nursing facility because living in a house where you shared so many memories with the person you love for 60+ years was too much for him.

Experience #1- Who knew that you had to be destitute in order to receive Federal assistance for nursing care? My family didn’t. Since his doctor recommended him to a facility it was covered under health insurance, but that came to an end. He has private health insurance and Medicare, but a nursing facility is not covered. Therefore, his savings had to be used to cover costs.

Experience#2 – Why is there a 6 month waiting list for in-home caregivers if you are not covered by Medicaid?
My mom and aunt both tried sitting with my grandfather for months, but found that it was too hard on them because he is a fairly big man who is in wheelchair. It was hard for them deciding to put him in a nursing facility, but there was no other choice since he was put on a waiting list to have someone come into the house and care for him during the day. If he would have had Medicaid it would not have been a problem, there is no waiting list.

It is amazing how if a family member wants to take care of a loved one at some point it may become too difficult for one person alone, and the option of having someone come into the home and assist is not available. Again, from my personal experience my grandfather has worked all his life to provide for his family, help in the community, and have a nest egg. Only to have his family feel that they are not able to provide for him when he needs it, he is not able to remain in the community for which he is highly looked upon, and his nest egg is gone because of nursing home expenses.

Being a service learning student at LSU and volunteering at Alzheimer’s Services has really been a positive experience. It is good to know that there are people that genuinely care about people who are suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s Services is the perfect place to start for someone who has a loved one who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s because they have made it simple by having resources regarding this disease readily available. My experience at Charlie’s Place was more than I would have ever expected. The staff and volunteers that were assisting the “Charlie’s” on yesterday did not treat them as though they have Alzheimer’s. Everyone was having such a good time singing, and making crafts that it felt like a “social event.” If I know of anyone who has a loved one that has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s I will not hesitate to direct them to Alzheimer’s Services.



Belinda N. Doyle
LSU Service Learning Student

No comments: