Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Glimpse of Charlie's Place

First Experience of Charlie’s Place

I am a student at Louisiana State University and am currently enrolled in Social Work 3011 course. Honestly, I had no idea what the class was going to be like; I had a friend in the class who knew I needed one more elective this semester so he suggested this course to me, and I accepted. When going to class, I realized what this class was all about. It was not like any of my other classes at LSU; this course seemed much more “hands on” rather than textbooks and calculators. During my first class, I learned much about Charlie’s Place Respite Center. Basically Charlie’s Place is a “home away from home” for Alzheimer’s patients during the day. I had never heard of Charlie’s Place, nor have I ever heard of any place like it but was very interested in learning more about the program.
Today (1 October 2008) is my first visit to Charlie’s Place, and I am just finishing up a tour of the place. Earlier I referred to the place as a home away from home, and I say that with great reason. When you walk into the front door you already feel at home. You enter the living room that is set up just like an average household. It has cozy couches, comfortable rocking chairs, a table filled with magazines and books, a piano, a checkers table along with a table always occupied with a puzzle, which is amazing for people with Alzheimer's. The kitchen is filled with many dinner tables set with real china, and the whole room looks out into the beautiful backyard. The backyard is filled with gardens with all types of vegetables growing inside accompanied with a soothing fountain in the middle of the yard. It has a brand new BBQ pit with seating everywhere to enjoy the beautiful days like today. Getting my tour for the first time, I was unsure how it would turn out, but when the tour was finished I was amazed on how “homey” the place really is.

- Ryan Duncan, LSU Service Learning Student

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am a student of LSU, taking the same class as Ryan. I am glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who was impressed with the work of Charlie's Place and Alzheimer's Services. Unfortunately like Ryan I have only been able to do a few things there, like getting a tour from Mr. Ed and greeting patients as the walked through the door to receive their coke, coffee, and cookies. Just to experience what little I have, was completely touching. It is great to see an organization focus on such a disease as Alzheimer's where the patients only want to feel normal and get a little attention. It thrills me greatly to see this especially since I often see these type of patients alone in hospitals and it is heart breaking. But here at Charlie's Place the patients are never alone, get great interaction, and feel like they apart of something. This little bit can go so far to help keep their mind stronger in order to keep that one memory just a little while longer.

Maltese Cross said...

It sounds like a great place. I have a relative with Alzheimer's, and it is great to see the progress that has been made over the decades. I wish you well in your studies. Don't forget about the 5K walk/run coming up! I just registered to run for the 2nd time in 2 years.