Friday, October 24, 2008

Alzheimer’s Services from Service Learning Student Perspective

This is my third time volunteering at Alzheimer’s Services and like my first visit here, I can not explain the feeling of calm I get when I walk through the doors. Today I am at the front desk answering incoming calls and so far I have only had two, Thank God! It’s not that I am scared to answer the phones it is I dread someone calling in because a family member has just been diagnosed with this disease.

The good thing is that there is Alzheimer’s Services to provide support for family members who are caring for loved ones with Alzheimer’s. Just having this warm and caring group of people here would make anyone feel at ease and let them know that they are not alone.

I also had the pleasure of typing blogs this morning submitted by a man who has Alzheimer’s and will be turning 90 next year!!!! As I was typing the entries I was in awe at how detailed his entries were in recalling each of his experiences. It was like I was there going through the experience with him. Memories and experiences such as these should be shared and enjoyed by others because unlike this man I have never watched turtles being born, but just by reading his blog I felt like I was there experiencing this miracle with him.

Even after my Service Learning experience is over I hope to still volunteer at Alzheimer’s Services. I know for sure I will read the blogs on a regular basis just to keep up with what’s going on, and to read future blogs by the blogger who wrote about the turtles.



Belinda
LSU Service Learning Student

No comments: