Monday, October 27, 2008

Hummers….HUMM MMM! Humm mmmm!


Some people hum. You know the kind that stand (or sit) in line waiting for a table at a restaurant. Sometimes these hummers drum or tap a tune with their fingers on a bench or seat. I guess they “hum” with their fingers. Perhaps it is a nervous reaction, or, maybe it keeps them happy and busy.

But, I’m not thinking about those kinds of hummers. The kinds of hummers I’m thinking about zoom past my breakfast nook windows about 60 mph. Zoom up and down and flit around. You see, I have an overstuffed rocking chair at the end of three bay windows in our nook. My sweet wife, Jean, made special seat covers for the overstuffed rocker. Made especially for me. And I sure do enjoy the rocker.

I can sit and rock and watch these little green humming birds dart from one bird feeder to another. This year we put out four humming bird feeders. One on each side of the three bay windows in the nook, and one on the live oak tree about 20 feet in front of the windows. The pesky squirrels like to drain the nectar from the one on the tree. But we don’t mind. They are God’s creatures too. And we feed them as well.

We’ve had more than a half dozen hummers fighting for a place to land on one of the feeders. Sometimes we see a ruby throated hummer. He’s beautiful. He has a ruby colored neck. The rest of his body is green, with a cream colored belly.

Hummers are noted for their acrobatic flights. I can’t see the wings move while in flight but, when they rest on the perch of the feeder I can get a good look at them. They have long beaks and get nectar by sticking them into an opening in the feeder. Then, they stick their long tongues into the bowl. They do not peck. Like a dog, they lap to get the nectar.

Most North American hummers can tolerate cold for a few days as long as food is available. They build quantities of body fat for the long trip to South America for the winter months. Hummers are amazing creatures. In many respects they are like ordinary birds, but their marvelous adaptation enables them to live in extraordinary ways.

It is October now and soon our hummers will be leaving for winter vacation. Still they come daily to dart and dance from feeder to feeder to my delight. They are wonderful. Their antics keep me busy watching. God bless them! They are so beautiful!

Jean and I plan to donate some humming bird feeders to Charlie’s Place. When I go there I can keep up with the hummers at Charlie’s. I’d like that. Charlie’s Place has a beautiful garden already. I’m sure the hummers will enjoy it. And so will I!


This blog was written by a person who has been diagnosed with a mild case of AD. He will be 90 in ’09.

No comments: