Wednesday, July 11, 2012

We're Here For You


“Even if this illness took her memory away from her, it didn’t take the memory of her away from me.” -Annonymous
 
This quote touches my heart tremendously. It captures the loss the affected individual has experienced, but it reassures the caregivers and loved ones that the wonderful memories will never be lost. My grandmother suffers from dementia. I visit as much as possible and she always wants to know what’s going on in my life; of course, I have told her countless times. However, in her mind I am still 12 years old and her pride and joy. At times, I am overcome with sorrow to think that my hero has this terrible disease. But, like in the quote above, I am comforted by the fact the memories of her and I sharing moments together as I grew up will never leave me. 
 
I spoke with a caregiver recently who stated, “No one knows what an Alzheimer’s caregiver feels unless they have experienced personally.” This statement describes the frustration felt by many caregivers and other family members. Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area strives to decrease this frustration. We have the Caregiver Network Support Group Meetings as well as our monthly Lunch-N-Learn which gives caregivers a place to discuss the unique situations brought on only by this disease. Alzheimer’s affects many people and many families but it affects each differently. If you or someone you know needs a person to talk to, who can understand the frustration and can offer assistance, please contact us at Alzheimer’s Services. If you are struggling to cope we will do our best to provide hope!


Katherine Schillings, Program Coordinator

No comments: