Thursday, July 5, 2012

A First Week to Remember…


Alright, I have just completed my first work week at Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area.  The most appropriate word that describes my experiences is “wow!” It was a great first week filled with a LOT of information about the services the agency provides and as well as all the activities they are engaged in. I am very humbled by the warmth and reception given to me by this great team of people. The dedication and passion the agency has for those whose lives have been impacted by Alzheimer’s is commendable. I got a chance to talk to each of my co-workers about how they individually and collectively contribute to the success of the agency.  I am truly blessed to be a member of this winning team. But I must say that I had two unexpected highlights in my week which were attending the BRAN Meeting at Sunrise and caregiver support group at Magnolia Assisted Living in Gonzales, Louisiana.   

My third work day began at a Baton Rouge Aging Network (BRAN) Meeting. The BRAN Meeting’s activity this month was a personal virtual dementia tour.  Participants got a chance to walk in the shoes of someone who has Alzheimer’s. The activity allowed the participant to experience some of the more pervasive symptoms of the disease such as vision and hearing problems, difficulty in holding or grasping objects; and how these challenges impede completing daily activities. It was an enlightening experience.    

My fourth day at work ended with a caregiver support group meeting. The support group was held at Magnolia Assisted Living facility. It was facilitated by Suzie Richard. Ms. Richard was well received by her diverse group of participants which included Alzheimer’s patients, children of Alzheimer’s patients, caregivers, and a couple who had been married for over 67 years.  The group shared their own personal experiences with the disease. Some participants cried while others shared a laugh. One person described his experience with Alzheimer’s as, “Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.” The group agreed with this gentleman’s comment.  The group was able to vent their frustrations, ask questions, share caregiver tips, laugh, and even cry in a non-judgmental atmosphere. The group may have begun as strangers but they left the group as new friends giving each other support through hugs, handshakes, and/or a gentle pat on the back.  

So to summarize my first week, let’s just say that the bar has been set very high (thanks Julie D!) and I will work diligently to carry out the mission and vision of Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area in my work! Thanks again for this wonderful opportunity!

Kristi F. Mellion
Program Coordinator/Respite Administrator

2 comments:

Kyra L. said...

This agency is blessed to have such a jewel. God bestows great responsibility for great and honorable souls. Thankful for God's promise. You're such a deserving soldier in Christ.

Kristi said...

Awww!!! Spoken from a true jewel! Thank you so much Kyra! Hold my friend because His promise for us is greater than we could ever imagine especially for a great person like yourself! Love and miss you! Tears...