Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Perspective

My name is Cheryl Davis, I interned with Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area this semester. As my internship nears its end, I am reminded of the great need for a place such as Alzheimer’s Services. I was a caregiver of a grandfather with Alzheimer’s, but had no education on giving care or support. If only I had known about Alzheimer’s Services.


In the few months that I was here, so many families have been helped. There is so much information on the disease, support groups, sitter services, even Charlie’s Place! I was so encouraged by the love and hope that I saw instilled in the caregivers who came to or called our offices desperate for help. The staff is so helpful and loving. I had quite a few experiences while interning; from preparing for our annual education conference, to going with the caregivers and clients on an outing where we each painted a lovely picture. I was even able to lead a caregiver support group and we talked about caregiver stress; something I as a nurse know quite a bit about. I learned a lot.


When I was informed by Southeastern Louisiana University that my curriculum included an internship, I wasn’t sure if I could do it. I had to get used to being in one place all day, because my job has me driving from place to place. Everything went well for me and the staff was so patient and kind. I am extremely thankful for the experience, and will forever cherish my time spent with Julie and the Alzheimer’s Services staff.

No comments: