Monday, November 8, 2010

Reflection

As I approach my 2nd year anniversary of joining the staff at Alzheimer’s Services I am proud to be able to say that I work for an organization that provides so many wonderful programs and services for caregivers and their loved ones who not only suffer from Alzheimer’s disease but any memory related dementia. Each day, I see the smiles of caregivers who drop their loved ones off at Charlie’s Place knowing they will receive a 5 hour break from caring for their loved one affected by Alzheimer’s disease and that their loved ones are being left in loving, caring, compassionate hands. Sometimes I can hear the laughter and joy from support group members who meet monthly to share their personal stories. I can’t hear the soft cries, or the frustration, but I know it’s being shared because they are not alone as they go through their journey at Alzheimer’s Services.

6 years ago, I needed help in coping and caring for my parent. I was a caregiver for my Father, a prominent, dedicated, strong, man, who gave 45 years of his life as a public servant to our community. A policeman for all of his adult life, he became Police Chief of Baton Rouge and finally retired in 1977. Dad suffered from late stage dementia and Parkinson’s disease until his death in 2005 at age 82. His wife of 60 years, my Mom, preceeded him in death and I became his full time caregiver until he passed away. The strong, dedicated, public servant - my parent, became my child. The roles had reversed. It was my turn to be strong, dedicated, and compassionate …a caregiver. It’s an all too common story, one told many times by caregivers who come to Alzheimer’s Services for services and programs, education about Alzheimer’s disease or who just come to open their hearts to a friendly face who knows what they are going through.

My experience as a fulltime caregiver has given me compassion for the caregivers who give so much, patience with those suffering from this disease and passion for this organization. I know first-hand what it feels like to be worried and exhausted from caring for a parent with dementia, sandwiched with parenting duties of children, combined with the duties of working a full time job. Fatigue from the 36 hour day…seems like it will never end. Sadly, eventually it does.

Now, I look back and think that I would have been a much better a caregiver if I would have been able to take advantage of all the resources, services, support groups that I see so many families who come to Alzheimer’s Services receive. I didn’t know Alzheimer’s Services existed.

It is my personal mission to create awareness and funds for an organization that strives to give so much to so many in need. It is my personal mission to invite everyone who has ever been a caregiver of a loved one with a memory related disorder or know of someone who is coping with Alzheimer’s disease to become an Ambassador for Alzheimer’ Services. I, WE, THEY need YOU!

Won’t you join us in fulfilling the mission of Alzheimer’s Services …to make a significant difference in the lives of those coping with Alzheimer’s disease. Please spread the word… Be an Ambassador… there is hope and Alzheimer’s Services can help you cope with this debilitating and exhausting disease. For more information please call 334-7494 or email Debbie at alzdev@alzbr.org.

Debbie Little, Development Director

No comments: