Monday, October 25, 2010

Helping family with Alzheimer's

When I first started working at Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area I was really unsure of how I felt about the disease and dementia because I had only known one person ever affected by it. It was through working with support groups and helpline that I started to really think about the things that have affected my family in the past and unfortunately still affects many other families in our area. My grandmother passed away several years ago from the disease, but at the time I did not realize how it affected me because I did not live close to her. It was soon after starting to work here that I came to terms with the things my family had to deal with. I knew that my grandmother was not well, but had I known the things I do now about support groups, and Charlie’s place, and all the resources that Alzheimer’s Services offers I wonder if things would have been different. In the support groups like Sharing the Journey I have learned the hardships each caregiver struggles with in dealing with this disease and it hit me how much just being involved has helped me to deal with the passing of my grandmother. At the time I did not realize how her death affected me, but looking at where I am now I can say that if there is a time and place where I needed to be, then this is it. I feel as though through meeting with caregivers and family members affected by the disease, and hearing of their great efforts to cope has given me strength to feel as though I am making a difference in their lives. Although I have only worked at Alzheimer’s Services for a few short months, it is through my work here with the support groups and events, and sharing with my family the progress I have made that I have really been able to come to terms with my grandmother’s death. Although I did not fully understand it then, I now feel as though just being able to give information and be a resource to those in need is making a profound difference in both of our lives.

Julie Fandal
Alzheimer's Services Intern

No comments: