Monday, April 27, 2009

Message from the Alzheimer's Services Executive Director

When I was about 14 my grandmother who I loved dearly developed Alzheimer's disease. I loved her dearly but I was afraid to see her and face her dementia where she would not know who I was. I regret terribly that I did not spend time with her. I urge families to continue all family socialization with the loved one affected by the disease. Reduce children or grandchildren's fears by explaining what to expect and suggesting topics to talk about that might encourage the sharing of a memory from long ago. Love and faith cannot be diminished by dementia. There are still wonderful memories to be created with loved ones. Make time for them.
- Barbara Auten, Alzheimer's Services Executive Director

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The HBO Alzheimer's Project addresses grandchildren and their loss of their grandparents to Alzheimer's in "Grandpa, DO You Know Who I Am?" with Maria Shriver